Enter the photo contest to win free registration to AGU24
22 September 2023
With the theme Wide. Open. Science., AGU23 will convene more than 25,000 attendees from over 100 countries in San Francisco and online everywhere on 11-15 December 2023.
Earth and space scientists are invited to participate in the AGU23 Photo Contest for a chance to win free registration to AGU24 in Washington, D.C. The top five photo entries will receive $25 towards merchandise at the AGU Central store at AGU23.
Participants must share a photo and caption describing their scientific research with the hashtag #AGUOpenScience to social media and the contest entry form.
The entries will be voted on by a committee of AGU staff and volunteer leadership on the criteria of photo quality, photo creativity, caption quality and relevance to the theme of open science. The top five photos will be posted to an online voting form for public vote during AGU23. Any submitted photos and captions may be shared on AGU’s social media account.
Share your #AGUOpenScience Contest
- 5 September-27 November. Photo submission period.
- 27 November. Last day to submit your photo and caption!
- 27 November-1 December. AGU staff and volunteer leadership vote.
- 5 December. The top five entries will be announced on AGU’s social media channels.
- 5 December-14 December. The public is invited to vote on the top five photo entries.
- 15 December. The winner will be announced on AGU’s social media channels.
- First, entrants must share their photo and caption of no more than 50 words with the hashtag #AGUOpenScience to their personal Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Instagram accounts.
- Second, entrants must fill out and submit the contest entry form.
- Photo submission requirements:
- Images should be submitted in PDF, PNG or JPEG format at high resolution. No RAW images or TIFF images will be accepted. File size should not exceed 10 megapixels.
- Images must be your own work and not include any third-party logos or copyrighted material. By entering the competition, you agree that your submission is your own work.
- All entrants must electronically sign and agree to the copyright transfer included on the entry form. AGU may use your design in future pamphlets, brochures, and informational booklets; at meetings, lectures, and workshops; in public presentations during meetings and other events; in promotional and educational videos; and on websites maintained by AGU.
- A photo of you in the lab;
- A photo of you in the field;
- Your research subject up close;
- A photo of you bringing your research to the public;
- A photo of you with your team;
- Or, an artistic rendering of your research models.
Selection and Prize Criteria:
- Submissions must be received by 27 November at 12 p.m. ET.
- After the photo submission period ends, AGU staff and volunteer leadership will vote to decide the top five entries based on the following criteria:
- Photo quality
- Photo creativity
- Caption quality
- Relevance to open science
- AGU23 attendees and the general public will be invited to cast one vote on a public online voting form that will display the top five entries.
- The top five entrants will be notified via email by 4 December and will receive $25 towards merchandise at the AGU Central store at #AGU23
- Prizes may not be exchanged for cash and are only valid towards AGU merchandise. If purchasing items via the online store, shipping costs are the responsibility of the winner. Prize value is valid until AGU24 and can be used at any in-person meeting where merchandise is sold, until 29 December 2024.
- Prizes may not be used toward the purchase of membership or meeting registration.
- The entry with the most votes on the public voting form will win free registration to AGU24 in Washington, D.C.
- AGU24 registration may not be exchanged for cash. It is non-transferable and non-refundable. Registration is only valid for AGU24
- By submitting a form to enter the contest for a free Fall Meeting registration, you agree that AGU may use your image/name in promotional materials.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must agree to the contest terms and conditions on the submission form
- Employees and interns of American Geophysical Union and their immediate family members (children, spouse/domestic partner, parents and siblings) and others living in their household are not eligible or are excluded from the contest.
Open Science at AGU
Open science is a global effort to increase participation in science and access to scientific research for people and communities everywhere.
Open science aims to enable the sharing and preservation of data, results and software in an ethical manner that is as open and transparent as possible. These practices accelerate scientific discovery and optimize the benefits of science for all, especially communities that have historically lacked equitable participation and access.
AGU is a proud leader in open science, advancing the effort through publications, meetings, data leadership, community science, policy engagement and career development. To learn more about AGU’s efforts to advance open science, visit agu.org/open-science and follow #AGUOpenScience on Twitter, Instagram and Threads.