9/20/2023: Hot weather may exacerbate mental and behavioral issues in youth

Hot weather is tied to an increase in hospital visits for mental and behavioral problems, but more so for youths in lower socioeconomic groups, according to new GeoHealth research. Credit: Gene Gallin/Unsplash

Featured research 

Hot weather may exacerbate mental and behavioral issues in youth
Higher temperatures correlate with an increase in emergency room visits related to mental and behavioral disorders in youths. However, sociodemographic variables, such as income or race, can increase the risk of heat-related symptoms even more as vulnerable communities lack access to the same resources as wealthier populations. [GeoHealth research] 

Heavy rainfall may aggravate asthma symptoms
Increased downpours due to climate change could spell trouble for asthmatics. A new study in New York state found emergency department visits for asthma increased by a small yet significant number following heavy rainfall in non-winter months. Studies conducted in Philadelphia and Maryland yielded similar results, suggesting a trend in rainfall-triggered asthma flare ups. [GeoHealth research] 

New NASA satellite trio will help scientists study the ocean
Over the next five years, NASA will launch three new satellites to enhance scientists’ abilities to study aquatic science from a global perspective. Together, data from the satellite trio will help researchers take a “deeper dive” into harmful algal blooms, oil spills, climate change’s impacts on phytoplankton, and more. [JGR Biogeosciences research] 

Clouds help the Arctic cool off in the wintertime
Most clouds warm Earth’s surface, but 40% of low clouds over Arctic sea ice are cooling the region’s winter climate as they allow longwave radiation to escape from Earth to space. This effect nearly cancels out radiative warming from the other 60% of low clouds. [Geophysical Research Letters research] 

Listening to the temperature of the ocean with seismic microphones
Global warming is changing ocean temperatures, but measuring temperatures in the deep ocean is a challenge. A new study used sounds from small earthquakes to estimate deep ocean temperatures in the East Indian Ocean. Sound waves travel thousands of kilometers underwater, and the warmer the ocean, the faster sound travels. With the help of an underwater microphone, scientists can capture those sounds and gauge deep ocean temperatures.  [JGR Solid Earth research] 

Better bottom-up estimates of wetland methane emissions
Limited monitoring of methane emissions from tropical wetlands could be obscuring these environments’ role in climate change. New analyses using more data could help shed light on methane emissions worldwide and help reduce uncertainty in climate models. [AGU Advances research] [Eos Research Spotlight] 

AGU (www.agu.org) is a global community supporting more than half a million advocates and professionals in Earth and space sciences. Through broad and inclusive partnerships, AGU aims to advance discovery and solution science that accelerate knowledge and create solutions that are ethical, unbiased and respectful of communities and their values. Our programs include serving as a scholarly publisher, convening virtual and in-person events and providing career support. We live our values in everything we do, such as our net zero energy renovated building in Washington, D.C. and our Ethics and Equity Center, which fosters a diverse and inclusive geoscience community to ensure responsible conduct.